Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Throwing Horseshoes Over My Left Shoulder



Lots of new and exciting things have happened since my last post (yes I know, it's been too long). The holidays that have since come and gone since you last heard from me, went well. They were filled with love, family, old traditions done and new ones created, and best of all another year has blessed our lives. Austyn, who turns 6 this Friday, experienced his first life changing event... he lost his very first tooth. This was definately an EXPERIENCE! Growing up can be hard and as I was taken back through my own childhood memories, I found that it also carries it's moments of fear. My son, bless his heart, (that is a phrase we Texans and most southerners like to use as a heartfelt expression) was so scared of that tooth falling out because he was most certain that immense pain was to follow! He was so worried about this "pain" that when the time came for the tooth to fall, he cried so much, yet hardly noticed that the tooth was no longer in his mouth but instead sitting in my hand. He then became intrigued with this new found object and was excited to hold it for himself. Needless to say, the tooth fairy is now the sole owner of this tooth in exchange for the dollar bill that was left for Austyn, you guessed it...under the pillow.
We have been blessed recently with visitors! Both Daniel's and my own family were able to schedule back to back visits with us here in our beautiful town. We live so far away from them both that it seems you can never get enough when you do get to see them! We were lucky enough to all experience our first train ride together. That was an enjoyable time! A great way to meet new people, save on gas and take in spectacular views through areas we too often miss.
We also visited the animal center in Albuquerque (known to us as the pound when we were young) and were lead to 2 of the most beautiful animals. We adopted a 6 yr old cat named Riley and a 1yr and a half old dog named Tess. They have been a blessing to our family! Well behaved and very loving! They are such wonderful pets to be around and they are truly loved in our home!
We have been so busy lately that it seems like we are running faster than we can keep up with. This past week has been a week filled with planning...lots of planning and it's only just begun. We are preparing a celebration, one that is filled with love and brings all of our loved ones together. A celebration with old traditions meeting the new. Something borrowed...something blue. We are planning a wedding. That's right I wrote wedding. Daniel and I are getting married!!!!!! I can't give many specifics because we are still working on them, but we are looking at sometime next summer. I'll let you know as we go.
I will end this blog today in somewhat of a bittersweet manner yet in hopes of bringing you insight and optimisum. I was given the news just this week that a friend, someone I unfortunely have lost touch with, yet grew up with and will forever hold dear in my heart dispite all circumstances, has been diagnosed with ALL. This is a severe form of leukemia. It has saddened me to see such a vibrant, active, intelligent and beautiful 26 yr. old man plagued with such a horrible sickness. I fight back tears as I type this because I remember so many wonderful memories with this person who I nicknamed "Carebear". He has always been such a delight to be around! Ever since the news came, I have prayed for his healing. I believe prayer is so important and I know that he would do the same if the tables were turned. He is strong and I believe he will pull through this with flying colors. I ask that any of you who read this, though you may not know him personally, please pray for him. He has lived such an incredible life thus far but I honestly see more for his future. Life each day full of life, thankful for each breath that the Lord has given you! Take nothing for granted and slow down and enjoy each masterpiece that God has painted for you. I'm not just referring to the occasional sunset or picturesque mountainview that you see once in a while. I'm talking about that certain shade of baby blue that the sky is today whereas yesterday it seemed a bit deeper, more cornflower. Or what about those butterflies that flutter all around? You didn't see them yesterday did you? They were there. You just didn't take the time to stop and look. God sends us the most beautiful things...Enjoy them!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Beautiful post and many happy congratulations! I'll keep your friend in my prayers, too.